Patterns of stuttering comparing two languages: A case report

Janeth Hernández-Jaramillo, Katherine Velásquez Gómez

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

4 Scopus citations


In bilinguals, specific patterns of stuttering in each one of the languages may be different. This study reports on the case of a bilingual adult who speaks Spanish and English simultaneously and whose dominant language is Spanish. Speech and language testing was performed in both languages. The samples chosen for the analysis of speech corpus were: spontaneous speech, description of the picture and reading. Some differences in the stuttering distribution were found. Of the disfluent instants, 61.39% of the total was presented in English and the other remaining 38.61% in Spanish. In both languages, stuttering by word type was more frequent in function words (i.e. prepositions, pronouns, conjunctions, particles and infinitive forms) than in content words (i.e. verbs, nouns, adjectives). As observed, dysfluency types were similar in Spanish and English, with the greatest percentage being word repetition, followed by phonemic prolongations. These were more frequent in English than in Spanish. Although it is possible to find similarities in the stuttering pattern suggesting general stuttering laws, differences associated not only with language-specific idiosyncrasies but also with the individual’s bilingualism characteristics were also found.

Translated title of the contributionComparación de los patrones de tartamudez en dos lenguas: Un reporte de caso
Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)493-504
Number of pages12
JournalRevista ciencias de la salud
Issue number3
StatePublished - 2015

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Health(social science)
  • Medicine (miscellaneous)


Dive into the research topics of 'Patterns of stuttering comparing two languages: A case report'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this